Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, October 30, 2008

To Breastfeed or Not To Breastfeed... That is the question.

This week Danny and I are debating on when to switch India to formula. So far the breast feeding has gone well. I pump while I'm at work and then store the milk for India while she's at my mom's house. When we're together, I feed her. This past week was kind-of rough for me. Sunday I had some problems with engorgement and also had really sore nips (tmi). It seems like every other day now I have some kind of issue. On Monday, I wasn't producing as much  milk and yesterday my nips were sore again (I know, I know). So anyway, Danny suggested that we switch India to formula starting in November to relieve me of some of the stress, responsibility and occasional pain. If we do that, he will get more time with her since he will be able to feed her too. He doesn't get a lot of time with her because he works so much, so this will give him the chance to start bonding with her a little more when he is at home.

I just don't know. In a way, changing her to formula sounds like a great idea. I could use the break. But at the same time, I don't want to do it for selfish reasons. With that said, I don't want to keep breast feeding for selfish reasons either. I know I will miss it once I stop. It's so hard to explain to someone who hasn't experienced it, but when I breast feed I feel like I am really caring for her. When I think about stopping I cry. There is such a bond that we share when I feed her. But at the same time am I keeping her from bonding with her father?

Pros:
Convenience (for all of us)
Consistency
Control (qty and content)
More time/bonding with Danny
Don't have to pump at work
Takes less time
Won't be all dependent on me

Cons:
More expensive

For some reason I can't think of any more cons than that. I've been told that formula has all the same stuff that breast milk has and that it's fine. So why shouldn't I switch?  :(

No comments: